Due to its convenience, portability, high storage capability and price competitiveness, the usage of USB drives are exponentially increasing. Unfortunately, the number of security accidents and computer damage are also rapidly increasing.
The most notorious virus that gets into the USB drive is the “Stuxnet”. This computer worm can cause significant problems on industrial software and equipment, resulting in immeasurable loss.
SECUDRIVE USB flash drive embedded the Trend Micro USB Security system, USB security system specialized on the virus-vaccine program, to prevent USB infection from malicious codes.
In this post, we will discuss:
1. The path of the USB drive virus
2. The damage caused by the virus infected USB drive
3. How to prevent virus infection through the USB drive.
1. The path of the USB drive virus
Virus infection through the USB drive goes through the following process;
– USB drive is infected by being connected to a virus-infected PC
– Any PC, where the virus infected USB drive is connected to, will be infected
Computer => USB Drive infection
When the USB drive is used in the virus-infected PC, the virus is automatically copied to the flash drive. “Autorun.inf” file, which automatically executes the virus, is created on the top layer of the USB memory.
USB drive => Computer infection
The virus infected USB drive automatically executes the “autorun.inf” file when connected to a PC. The file copies the virus to the computer and the “autorun.inf” file is also created on the PC.
– This file is created to execute certain programs automatically. It is often used when a CD is inserted to a PC. The USB drive also uses the same process to start the system in the PC, consequentially infecting the PC it connects to.
2. Virus infection damage caused by USB drive
When the USB drive is infected, it starts to infect other PCs and USB flash drives. Once it has infected a computer, the virus can download other viruses through the internet and exacerbate the problem.
The following are some examples of how the virus can harm the user:
– Steals personal information
– Remotely maneuvers PC
– Transmits confidential information on the PC
– Sends keyboard log to an outsider
– Downloads new viruses
3. How to prevent virus infection of USB drive
The number of new viruses that are infecting USB drives is significantly increasing. Be careful because your USB drive may be infected by one of them without you realizing.
SECUDRIVE USB V series embedded the Trend Micro USB Security anti-virus program, which prevents viruses and malicious codes from infecting the secure zone of the USB drive. The virus pattern is automatically updated when connected to the Internet. Learn how Trend Micro USB Security works.
The following are some safeguards against USB drive viruses.
– Uses secure USB drive with vaccine program embedded
– Uses USB drives on PC with up to date vaccine program
– Uses different USB for different purposes
– Does not use unreliable USB drives
– Checks for virus on the USB drive before opening any files onboard
– Stops any autorun processes by pressing the “shift” button when connecting the USB drive
– Opens the file from Windows Explorer and not from My Computer
– Deactivates the autorun from Windows setting
– Creates the “autorun.inf” folder in the USB drive to prevent creation of malicious autorun.inf file
– Shows hidden files and folders to quickly distinguish hidden autorun.inf file.